Terminal expansion project
Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) went through major construction work in the last decade including the largest expansion and redevelopment project of its history. In the last 10 years, YQB invested $500 million on site expansion and, above all, airport development. This unprecedented investment is in keeping with our core value and raison d’être: Passenger First. Designed to meet the highest standards in the airport industry and provide the best possible passenger experience, the terminal expansion project consisted of over a dozen individual construction projects and a number of IT programs with a total budget of $277 million.
The terminal expansion project will allow YQB to :
Double the terminal area
The terminal expansion is the cornerstone of YQB’s transformation. The-new-and-improved facility will feature:
- More dedicated baggage carousels serving international flights
- A more user-friendly, better-designed customs area
- Expanded food court and restaurant areas
- Four new gates
- A state-of-the art curbside and loading zone
- A larger capacity baggage area
Serve our passengers with state-of-the-art technology
Passenger experience, a true YQB priority, will be greatly enhanced by integrating new technologies, resulting in a faster, more efficient, and smoother airport experience. Key technological enhancements include the following:
- Self-serve check-in kiosks
- Automated baggage drop-off facilities
- Automated, self-service customs kiosks
- A new system of electronic kiosks and equipment for airlines
- Charging stations for smartphones, tablets, etc.
- Dynamic communications and signage systems (mobile apps, digital signage, etc.)
Upgrade facilities to welcome more passengers
In addition to the terminal expansion, an upgrade of current airport facilities has become necessary to sustain our growth and better serve our passengers. Preparatory work was done in 2014, with further projects slated for completion by 2017. As part of YQB 2018, and to better meet passenger needs, YQB has either planned or already completed the following projects:
- Open a new multi-level parking facility
- Create new aircraft parking positions for new gates
- Bring existing gates up to standard
- Enlarge the Delta taxiway and build a new Bravo taxiway
- Replace electronic infrastructure to secure runway lighting and various equipment for aircraft approach
- Resurface the main runway
Ongoing construction work
Reorganization of the Domestic Terminal
Some services in the domestic terminal, including the duty-free shop, currency counter and convenience store have been move into the new international section. When all work is completed, the current domestic departures sector will be occupied by the future food court. Work to allow this reorganization in the terminal will last until the full opening of all areas.
Construction of a New Baggage Handling Room
With the terminal expansion, the baggage handling system had to be modified and expanded. The construction of the new baggage handling room includes the installation of automated baggage depots, the addition of a second baggage handling room, which will ensure both the detection of explosives and the sorting of baggage, and the addition of a new automatic baggage storage system.
Updated March 11, 2019